Monday, February 2, 2009

Where the deer and the...buffalo play.

So while my parents were here, we took a trip out to the Great Salt Lake to Antelope Island. It is a state park and is home to pronghorn antelope, bighorn sheep, deer, birds, coyotes, and American Bison. The island is 15 miles long. Here is a shot of it from space. You drive over the causeway (north end) to get there.


It was a fun afternoon and a cheap thing to do in the middle of winter. In one way, it reminded me of our trip to Yellowstone. Oh look! buffalo! Oh wow! There a bunch of them way over there! Wow! And oh! look how close that one is! Take a picture! What? Another buffalo? Great. Oh look, more buffalo.
See for yourself.






We also spotted a few coyotes. A small pack were out on the ice (this lake freezes in places - go figure) and we saw this guy hunting some dinner...

And the sunset was pretty nice too...

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Very cool. I've never been to Antelope Island. I've never even thought about going there. I'll add that to my list of things to do in Utah.

Julie said...

Yeah!! A new post from one of my favorite friends!! We have always wanted to go there...now I think we will. My kids would love seeing all those animals.