Monday, March 17, 2008

March Madness


It is time. Ever since my alma mater made it to the big dance in 1989 for the very first time, I've been hooked. When Siena got their first bid, a couple hundred of us hopped on some chartered buses and drove through the night to Greensboro, NC. None of my roomates were sports fans so I decided to go alone and make friends as I went. That day, Saint Patrick's Day in fact, Siena beat Stanford in one of most exciting games I've ever seen. Of course, it helps to have seats right on the floor under the basket. All 3 buses full of people now wanted to stay; and that's when I became a Duke fan. The Duke people were offering their homes, their condos, to share hotel costs - they were awesome. I called my parents with what little voice I had left to beg for money for a hotel room. Siena wound up losing a day or two later to Minnesota but it was an experience I'll always be thrilled I had. It was worth missing lacrosse practice and a statistics exam :)

So, finish your brackets and get them submitted. Email me or post a comment if you'd like to join ours.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i did not know you were such a huge fan. Are you watching all these games in your teeny tv

Shel said...

:) As I type, Paul is at the tv repair place with the flat screen - let's hope they can work their magic before the first games.

D said...

So are you a cheering for Duke or Siena? I guess it doesn't matter, I'll just cheer for whomever you want to win!

Shel said...

I always cheer for both. Siena has improved - they have made it to the tournament a few more times since then. But, they usually don't make it past the first round. It's safe to cheer for both because they won't play each other. And if they did, Duke would destroy them :)

~Nikki said...

So this has nothing to do w/ basketball. : ) We were watching the Office a few nights ago and I'm in the kitchen making treats, and I hear Michael Scott say, "I'm not superstitious, just a little stitious," and I looked up at Edson and said, "SHEL's BLOG!!!" ;)

Shel said...

That's it! I was cracking up when I saw it and I think I created the blog like a week later. Couldn't think of a more perfect name.

Julie said...

Okay..not basketball related..but I am waiting for a new post from you!!! JK Tyler wants to see new pictures and me too!!